The only thing standing between you and your goal is the story you keep telling yourself
Life changes every single day and so can we, but we often feel hopelessly stuck against our will. Why? Because the changes we seek breed uncertainty and life can be tricky to navigate when we’re uncertain about things. If you’re feeling confused it’s a common trap to fill our gaps of understanding with stories about how life is. But these stories often do us more harm than good.
Imagine you’re changing jobs, building a business or upping your fitness level. What’s the story you’re telling yourself about incorporating this change into your life? Does it involve you being the confident hero of the story? Or a character that doesn’t believe he or she can do it and is therefore reluctant to even try? If you’re thinking the latter then you’re not alone – lots of us struggle in this same way, but the stories we tell ourselves, about ourselves, tend to follow along these same negative lines. As soon as the going gets slightly tough, we fall apart from the inside out.
Consider a recent example in your own life – what’s a positive change you’ve tried to make in your life but have desperately struggled with?
Whatever the positive change is, think about the story you started telling yourself the minute you realised you weren’t making progress as fast as you expected. Do your best to visualise the story in detail so you can better clarify what’s been going on in your head. This is quite significant. Because the story you tell yourself in your head is often the one that gets written in reality.
“We ultimately become what we repeatedly do.“
So what can you do if your story is hurting you more than it’s helping? Change the story you’re telling yourself! These mantras can help you do just that…
Daily Mantras for Changing Your Story
When you’re feeling discouraged and doubtful or lacking the mindset to move forward, reflect on the mantras below. So pick one (or more) that’s relevant to your present struggle, and repeat it in your mind until it sinks in…
- Allow yourself to be a beginner. No one starts off being great. Do the best you can until you know better. Once you know better, do better.
- Stop running away. Breathe. Be where you are. You’re where you’re supposed to be at this very moment. Every step and experience is necessary.
- Use disappointment and frustration to motivate you rather than annoy you. Be mindful. You are in control of the way you respond to life.
- You are not a product of your circumstances, you are a product of your decisions. It’s about deciding to NOT let your frustration or fear decide your future.
- Don’t compare your progress with that of others. We all need our own time to travel our own distance. Focus on the step you are taking now and make the best of it.
- In a society that seeks instant results, we must learn the beauty of effort, patience, and perseverance. Be strong, present and steadfast. Stick to your positive daily rituals.
- Patience is a genuine expression of confidence, acceptance, serenity, and faith in your own ability. It’s a sign of strength. Practice it.
- As you face life’s inevitable obstacles, remember, it’s far better to be exhausted from lots of effort and learning than to be tired of doing nothing.
- Your struggle is part of your story. Being rejected from something you want often means you are being directed toward taking the next best step forward.
- No life story is one chapter long, no chapter tells the whole tale and no mistake defines who you are. Keep turning the pages that need to be turned.
Big Changes Happen Gradually in Small Steps
All details aside, when it comes to making a significant change in your life – finding a new job, building a business, changing your body, being more productive or any other personal journey – it takes time, patience, and commitment. Think about it. We ultimately become what we repeatedly do. The acquisition of knowledge doesn’t mean you’re growing – growing happens when what you know changes how you live. Every single day. But the story you tell yourself will get you there, step by step. As long as you tell yourself the right one!